11 April 2008

My Second Job in London





For my second job in London, I worked as a locum (temp) rehabilitation assistant for a community therapy team made up of physiotherapists (physical therapists) and occupational therapists. Although I was employed by an agency, I was actually working within the National Health Service (NHS). The job was in Haringey, which is in north London. Haringey is a very interesting mix of very rich and very poor. I started part time (three days) in January 2008, still doing two to three days at Cherrycroft in Peckham (see previous blog entry).

The job was actually pretty cool. I was working with homebound clients, just like home care in the states. It was much more clinically based than working as an activities organiser, and it was great being out in the community. The vast majority of work was assisting with physiotherapy. I would say there was about one occupational therapy referral for every ten physical therapy referrals. So I learned a bit of physio… But this opportunity came up that sounded too good to let slip by, so I took a chance… (future blog), and I left in Haringey in March 2008.

I have two pictures from my Haringey days. One is of the entrance of the home base office for the community therapy team. The other is of me proudly sporting my NHS badge.

No comments: