06 February 2009

Blizzard!

It was a fateful Groundhog Day (not celebrated in the UK, but I couldn’t resist) when the storm of the decade pummelled London with unimaginable amounts of snow.  This was not just a paltry 5 centimetres; this was no measly 10 centimetres; this was a whopping 15 CENTIMETERS of white madness.  I know you won’t be reaching for your calculators anytime soon, so I will just tell you that fifteen centimetres is about six inches.  It shut down the entire public transportation system so I was not able to get to work.  And because the employees at the British Library
 (where my beloved does her research) also could not get to work, the research part of the library was closed.  So we both had a snow day… ah school daze!   Without public transit, the city was pretty much closed.  Most Londoners threw snowballs, made snowmen, and took photographs of their street covered with snow…
 full of all the wonder and amazement that no doubt I experienced as a toddler at my first snowstorm.  But judging from the photographs, I was pretty much paralysed by the girth of my winter survival gear… with my arms stuck straight out in the shape of a star.  No star shaped lead zeppelins here though…  We saw some wearing shorts!  It seems the Queen (pictured), who tends not to use public transport, was not deterred by the white stuff.  The other photos show Westminster Palace and the view from our window as one Londoner gets winter-driving lesson as seen through our snow laden tree.  

No comments: