07 November 2009

My New Neighbourhood

I am still getting to know my new area. Being in central London oddly enough means in some ways that there are less conveniences. For example, we have always lived within reasonable walking distance of what is referred to onLondon maps as a ‘superstore’. Which for those of you reading this back in the States would just be a grocery store. I think the ‘super’ refers to the size. I think that we, are I at least, have become accustomed to quite large grocery stores in the States. In London anyway, it seems that the typical store of the not-super variety is more like what I called back home: a convenience store. So I suppose I need to restate my second sentence: Being in central London oddly enough means in some ways that there are more conveniences. Hmm… That is not odd at all, really. How about: Being in central London, as one might, expect means that there are more conveniences, but definitely less supers. Well, on further consideration, I think I will abandon that sentence altogether. The reader will kindly skip ahead to the second paragraph. No, really, there is no need to read this bit. I have already committed to movingon to the next paragraph. If you keep reading this one, there will not be any new content. I am simply nattering on with empty words devoid of any content in an effort to provide something for you to skip to make up for your having read the first half of this paragraph which clearly would have benefited from an editor. Therein lies the whole problem with blogging in general, who is editing all this drivel. No one, that’s who! I mean, any idiot with access to a computer is free to put any meaningless dregs out and claim to be writing. Open internet access is clearly the end of meaningful writing for Western civilisation.

Although there is not a large grocery store nearby, there are lots of interesting shops. I think my favourite so far is the Jamaican Best Taste Take Away (pictured above before they got their sign). I’ve had their Jerk Chicken with is awesome. It is spicy to die for! I also had their Spicy Chicken which was not as spicy as hoped but their Rice & Beans are great. I also had Guinness punch from there for the first, and
hopefully last time. It’s two great tastes that don’t go great together. I would describe it as a Guinness Chai. It is made of Guinness Stout (Foreign Extra version), condensed milk, nutriment, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon. When it first hits your mouth, it has the feeling of milk. Then you get that familiar Guinness flavour. And then it finishes with the taste of chai. I am certain that if I were raised with these flavours
mixed together, I would love this drink. But I found it was just too much going on. I just can’t bring myself to drink it again.

Anyway, the place where I usually buy my fruits and vegetables is a Turkish place recommended by a good friend of our flatmate. It was a good recommendation. Then there is the entrance to the train station I use to go to work in winter. It gets too dark too early and I am no longer
cycling to work because I am not cycling in London in the dark. So I am off the cycle until at least March. There is also a shot of the station platforms, the local post office I will use when strike is over, the local chemist (pharmacy), a shot of the canal which I am looking forward to walking along, and a really interesting looking pub a bit further down the street which I hope to visit soon. At night it glows green!

Not to worry Mr. Will, I am planning a photomontage of me in front of all my faves!

No comments: