02 February 2013

Toad in the Hole

We had our first Toad in the Hole last week.  Apparently, it began life as a leftovers meal.  According to Wikipedia, you would stick in chunks of leftover meat from a previous meal that was not enough on its own for a full serving into Yorkshire Pudding batter.  But now the chunks of leftover meat have become sausages.  A Yorkshire Pudding, you say?  I wish I knew what a Yorkshire Pudding was: I mean I can describe it.  It is a piece of pastry that looks like the bottom of a pie crust but with no filling in it.  It is served with roasts. Mostly, I think their purpose is to sit on the plate mocking me.  Am I supposed to load it up with stuff?  Do cut it and dip it?  The term 'pudding' suggests maybe I save it for last?  How am I supposed to eat this thing?  Maybe I am not supposed to eat it at all, and it's just a game of 'one of these things is not like the other'.  I just get the feeling that all the English are laughing at me inside when I eat it.

Photo Credit: (Mostly) Yummy Mummy

No comments: