18 March 2012

My Walk Home from Church

One thing I miss about Providence is the community at Grace Church Well, I found another community that feels a lot like Grace: it's called St Saviours Pimlico. As wonderful as St Saviours is, it seems a shame to waste the opportunity to worship at Westminster Abbey (Collegiate Church of St Peter at Westminster), which is only a bit further way. So I go there a sometimes.

Today, in anticipation of our upcoming move, I was noticing some interesting things I walk past on the way home. First was St Margaret's, the parish of the House of Commons. Then, I go past Palace of Westminster (where Parliament meets), a statue of suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst, and a replica of Rodin's Burghers of Calais. Then it's past the the Conservative Offices at Millbank, the Tate Britain (an art museCum featuring British artists), and past the former site of a panopticon prison based on Jeremy Bentham's design. Across the street, a memorial bollard marks the top of the steps where prisoners boarded ships to Australia. Then it's over the Thames by the Vauxhall Bridge, to MI6 (Secret Intelligence Service), and home.

All photos are from Wikipedia:
1 St Saviours Pimlico, 2 Westminster Abbey, 3 St Margarets, 4 Emmeline Pannkhurst, 5 Burghers of Calais, 6 Millbank Tower, 7 Tate Britain, 8 Bollard, 9 MI6


















No comments: