28 July 2012

Can't Hold a Candle to Carrying a Torch

Earlier in the week, the Olympic torch relay went within a 100 metres of our flat.  The first picture shows the turn into our road, except for all the people blocking it to watch the torch.  I had this idea in my head that the torch relay was one continuous route.  It isn't like I was expecting them to run in the middle of the night.  But I did think that they would start off in the morning from where they stopped the previous night.  But in preparing to watch the torch go by, I learned that the flame travels at night by van to a new starting point every day.  So the running relay is not continuous: they are little unconnected segments.  I liked it better when I thought it was an uninterrupted continuous route.  
Whilst waiting for the flame to arrive, at first, a police motorbike occasionally rode by.  Then there were a few with their lights on.  Then a series of vehicles.  One with a music and dancers on it.  Then a few people waving flags.  Then nothing.  I was beginning to think I missed it.  

But after a huge gap, more police and more albeit less conspicuous vehicles came by.  After another long gap, four police motorbikes stopped nearly in  front of me.  Two minutes later, a tall slender blonde man dressed all in white jogged slowly by with the torch ablaze.  Then he was gone.   

No comments: