03 November 2012

All my avocados in one basket?

Unrefrigerated avocados in the US                             Refrigerated avocados in the UK
After five years, I still have not adjusted to the refrigerated stones that are sold here as avocados. Maybe we are so far north that they have to be picked so early that avocados have no chance of getting to its yielding, easily-bruised ripeness and leaving them out for any time in this comparatively sunless clime would turn them instantly into lumps of mold and mildew.  Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I am under the delusion that the avocados I bought in the US were at ambient temperatures throughout their journey including their pause on the grocer's shelves.  

Refrigerated eggs in the US                                 Unrefrigerated eggs in the UK
Eggs, on the other hand, I am certain I remember accurately.  Those were always refrigerated in the US, even at the grocers.  They were in the diary section because apparently, eggs in the US come from cows.  But here, they are in the aisles at stored at room temperature.  Judging by the egg shaped holders on the refrigerator doors, I suspect I am expected to refrigerate them once I get them home.  The holes are certainly too small for avocados. 

Photo Credits

Unrefrigerated avocados in the US: Wikipedia emphasis added

Refrigerated avocados in the UK: Me

Refrigerated egg in the US: Slash/Food

Unrefrigerated eggs in the UK: British.com

The Cow That Laid and Egg: Amazon

No comments: