23 June 2013

Glasgow Airport

My return flight got delayed and I found myself with time to kill so I wandered into a Wetherspoons.  They pulled a Wildcat for me and it was pretty good.  I should have quit while I was ahead.  I spotted on the menu a little Scottish section.  Having been assured by my concierge the day before that looking for traditional Scottish fare in Glasgow was a lost cause I thought this was an opportunity when I spotted: Highland Beef Burger, which was claiming to have haggis, beer-battered onion rings, and chips.  When it arrived, I noticed there was no onion ring, but instead bacon.  There was some mince-like brown substance that maybe had little seeds in it or something that I am assuming is supposed to be haggis, which had a tad of flavour.  But the burger and bacon was somewhat flavourless, which is quite a feat for bacon.  So I am guessing that if the burger and bacon are any indication, whatever this stuff was, it probably doesn't taste like haggis is supposed to.  

Then I spotted some English mustard. So I think, OK, I'll squirt some out to dip my chips in.  Then I think back to the breakfast at the hotel where I was offered a full English.  Hmm, English breakfast, English mustard... am I really in Scotland?  Maybe not.  So I finally taste the mustard and I think, boy, it has been a while, but this tastes like American mustard, which is basically English mustard watered down with vinegar.  So I grab the bottle again and it says 'mild' English mustard.  I flip it over to the ingredients, and sure enough, mild English mustard and American mustard are one and the same.

I know, I know, it's a Wetherspoons, what can I expect.  But it sure leaves me with a quandary if anyone asks me if I've ever had haggis.  Maybe?

Photo Credit : Millnet

1 comment:

Coercin' A Bull said...

You should have tried the Ubiquitous Chip , Cafe Gandolfi, Stravaigin. Two Fat Ladies, Babbity Bowster,Arisaig or Shandon Belles - to name but a few, if you wanted Scottish fare in Glasgow!