29 June 2013

Some great shows

I took my beloved to Merrily We Roll Along, a Sondheim revival.  It was fantastic; a really clever, tragic 'success' story run in reverse, thus emphasising its tragic nature.  The cast was just amazing.  One of the best musicals I have ever seen.  Although I did overhear someone a few rows behind me complain that there was too many songs.  I feel the same way about Rod Stewart.

The very next day with fairly low expectations, I was blown away by the absolutely delightful Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing.  I just loved everything about it.  You can just feel the love and care in the precision of the camera lines that squeezed every ounce of worth from the simplicity of the sets.  The actors brought exactly the right amount of personality to the screen to highlight rather than distract from the dialogue, which is the unfortunate tendency of many celebrated directors of Shakespeare recent productions.  Whedon transforms Shakespeare into contemporary entertainment.  Brilliant!

Photo Credits
Merrily: The Telegraph
Much Ado: ScriptLab

No comments: